Thursday, February 20, 2014

Comment and a link to a SearchResearch-like story

It's pretty clear that people are finding this week's Challenge not-all-that-hard. 

 That's completely fine by me; we need a mix of both crazy-hard and simpler challenges.  The question brought up a couple of interesting bits, and in tomorrow's answer, I'll try to weave all of these pieces together.  

When I write these Challenges, they're often (about 70% of the time) actual questions that people have asked me.  Another 20% are questions that come up while I walk around or visit hither and yon.  The last 10% are questions that are intended to illustrate how to use a particular search skill or information resource.  

But I always try to keep things interesting.  (Be sure to let me know if a particular challenge just leaves you cold!)  And, in general, I think we succeed.  The world is full of fascinating things to uncover.  And each week I try to bring you a Challenge that's both interesting AND teaches a little about SearchResearch.  

So... tomorrow... the answer.  

In the meantime, if you have a couple of spare moments, let me highly recommend an article I read earlier this week.  

How to uncover a scandal from your couch, by Brad Racino and Joe Yerardi, is a great case study in how to follow a line of evidence from initial stimulus (in this case, an unsealed FBI complaint) towards a set of insights.  This is really investigative journalism at its web-search best.  A remarkable story that SearchResearchers will appreciate.  

Keep searching! 



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this article & how he made the connections.

    I did enjoy reading this article and I couldn't help myself have a look around. I thought if there is corruption in the USA what's to think the US would be the only target. Not that I saying there is anything more but I had a look at Canadian websites & I found he has a company Security Tracking Device SA de CV. I followed this through and found this article by Examiner which quote "He’s an expert when it comes to wireless security networks and Government projects. He also works closely with homeland security and International bodies." Well that's comforting!

    It would be interesting to look at politicians in Canada. Especially those known for drug issues. But I will leave that to the experts.

    ReplyDelete